As much as we hate to admit not everything lasts forever, including our makeup. Sometimes you’ll find yourself asking “How long is this good for ?” or “This smells bad should I toss it ?”. There is a general guideline to follow but I always try to get the most out of my products because lets face it, makeup isn’t cheap nowadays! I usually go through my entire collection about every 6 months to reorganize and de-clutter. I’ll crack out some wipes to clean everything and start smelling, yes smelling! First thing I go by is the scent, if it smells horrible (usually like plastic) it’s gone. Second is texture, if the texture has changed it usually means it’s going bad. Third is expiration, most products have a number on the packaging saying the approximate shelf life of the item. I will now share the method to my madness . . .
1. Lip products – Since these are cream products and are applied to the lips all the time they grow bacteria. I’d say about a good 1-2 years depending on the brand. If it doesn’t smell the same toss it because most likely its no bueno.
2. Powder products – These are going to be the most long-lasting in your stash. Eyeshadows, face powders, blush etc will last anywhere from 5-6 years, I’ve had a blush since 2007 and it’s still going strong.
3. Foundations – Unfortunately they don’t last too long. I’d say a good 12-18 months before it starts to smell funny and change in texture.
4. Cream Products – You can visually see when these go bad because they start to dry out. Cream blushes, cream shadows, eyeliner etc I’d say lasts about 12-18 months as well.
5. Mascara – Oh the original 3 month rule! Well what if you barely wear mascara or use different ones? For most drugstore mascara I do find that the rule applies because it will start to dry out on me but higher end mascaras I find last a bit longer. Do not pump your wand because you’re just pumping air into the tube and drying it out yourself.
It’s hard to part and say good-bye but some things just come to end . . .